slideshow1 slideshow2 slideshow3 slideshow4 slideshow5 slideshow6 slideshow7 slideshow8 slideshow9 slideshow10

THE VILLAGE

“Vila de Cano” was a municipality from the 1st November, 1512 to the 26th December 1826 when it was extinguished. From there on it became part of the neighboring municipality of Sousel. As the story goes the name of the town comes from the Latin word “cannum”. It is due, probably, to the abundance of water under its soil, which permits that the great majority of people to have its own well.

Fairs
August fair – weekend before the last day in August at Largo da Feira; Feira Nova: 24th and 25th de October, Largo da Feira; and Markets: forth Sunday each month

Festivities
Parish day: last weekend in June; Festivity in honor of Our Lady – religious festivity in the last weekend of July.